Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grateful Dead Goes To Space And Beyond Vol. 01, #01


This is the first in a series of space references in Grateful Dead songs. Sure I could go the easy route and direct you guys to a great version of Space, but where is the fun in that?

Standing On The Moon

This was chosen for many reasons as the first song in this series, mainly my little blog has the same name (a coincidence?).

I have been listening to this song pretty avidly for a couple days now. Hunter really out did himself with this one. This is also one of those songs that could have fit in any era. although it did end up in the end. Either way I am happy it was written and performed some 70 times. Right now I am listening to this song, yet again. The patriotism I get from this song and the longing to be with his love is moving. Garcia nails it on 3-20-90 at the Omni in Atlanta.

The first time this song was performed was on 3-31-89 and the last time it was played was 6-30-95. Interesting tidbit, the longest version of this song was played on 7-29-94.

No comments:

Post a Comment