Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jenny Jenkins and Throwin Stones

My step mom reminded me of the Not For Kids Only album. As I was listening to Jenny Jenkins I had to laugh at this verse:
Quote:
Will you wear green
Oh my dear, oh my dear
Will you wear green, Jenny Jenkins?
No, I won't wear green
It's a shame to be seen


The reason it is a shame to be seen in green is because green was a color once associated with prostitutes. Apparently, green dye was cheap and it was different from the drab colors that were worn on clothing. The other more colorful dyes showed you have money. It was a status thing, sort of like wearing a rolex I guess.
The color green also comes up in Iko Iko and is a reference to a male prostitute I think.
Quote:
See that guy all dressed in green
Iko iko an nay
He's not a man, he's a loving machine
Jockomo feena nay


I also have found it interesting how songs that children sing are often based on rather dark subject matter. This too carries over to Grateful Dead music. I am sure John Perry Barlow borrowed "Ashes, ashes we all fall down" from Ring Around The Rosie. This is an excellent images he has conveyed. Since Throwing Stones was a dark song, apocalyptic in a way. To get back to my point Ring Around The Rosie was a song about the Black Death.

1 comment: