Saturday, August 8, 2009

Music To Phil The Air



Lately I have been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead. When I am not listening to Grateful Dead proper I am rocking out to Jerry bands or Phil Lesh and Friends. Today I want to focus on Phil. A great live album that I always fall back on is Live At The Warfield. First off let me get this out of the way now. I have been a Joan Osborne fan for more years than I care to admit. I find her to be one of the most passionate female(or any for that matter) vocalist around. When she joined The Dead in 2003 I was really excited, yet missed out on that experience since she was gone by 2004. This Phil show also has jazz guitar legend John Scofield present. This is a combination for the ages ladies and gentleman. Phil is able to keep true to Grateful Dead songs yet breeding new life in classics. Check out Lovelight for an example of this. Joan's vocals on Morning Dew are heart wrenching. The pure emotion that rings out of her soul is something that I will always cherish. The best part about Joan is she has the perfect blues vocals. I wish her and Pigpen could have shared a Lovelight or Hard To Handle. Dark Star is also a grade A performance. Very jazzy and reflective to the roots of the song, yet totally different. If you haven't given Phil's band a chance yet this is a great introduction.

Sorry I couldn't find any video of the Warfield DVD to post. I did find a Sugaree with Joan on vocals.

This is a 1/2 Step with Scofield and Joan

A favorite of mine New Speedway Boogie with Sco and Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment