Friday, August 7, 2009

We Got Speed Racer and His Arcade Androids


Hey its Friday and I wanted to post something before I go see Larry Keel. Well this is what you guys get. 1986-03-27 which features the only performance of Brent and Phil's Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues. This one had a lot of potential to my ears. I wonder why they didn't try it again.

Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues

(as transcribed from a tape of 3-27-86, Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, Maine, the only performance of this song-more dubious guesswork in italics)

Halfway past cool, clear Monday to the side of the room,
Rolling down Wild Hair Boulevard with the rising of the poon.
Hot damn! It's Mother's Day. Don't you all look fine?
Promenading down the long carwash, passing snipes and sniffin' wine.

We got poets, shuckers, and godzillas
Ground by the sweep, little frozen, no soup.
We got Speed Racer and His Arcade Androids,
Revolutionary hamstrung blues.

Say, now mama may I tighten your cap?
Now honey may I loosen your load?
You hold on to this hand grenade, while I...

I remember some chicks from the shit club,
Coming on to Silly, squeeze toe.
Silly says, "I'll say it once.
For you it's cold steel, and slow."

I'm standing by the rupture,
'Mid chairs and flying glass.
Silly smack dab in the soma,
Shouting verse and kicking ass.
Back then, the sweep-you hopped the 90,
Don't make the six o'clock news.
Speed Racer and the band kept playing...

[instrumental break]

As I recall I went for the window
But I never did get clear
Henry Hawkins' hickory stick
Was the last thing I saw that year

Drag me down to the tangle, you carry the charges, if you please.
Hey, 30-day up on my shelf or a feeling we meant to be
Mama may I tighten your cap?
Your honor let me loosen your load
You hold on to this grenade for me, while I...

The full moon irradiates Wild Hair Boulevard now.
Dumbshits talk so bold.
Reminds me of old Silly, and how we
Did it all over...
Did it all over...
Did it all over the road.

We got poets, shuckers, and godzillas
Ground by the sweep, little frozen bowl soup.
We got Speed Racer and His Arcade Androids
Revolutionary hamstrung blues.
(Track 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment