Monday, August 17, 2009

Two shots of whiskey, This show is looking good


So this show was suggested to me by Sugarmag. According to her this is a Swami pick. Go to Lost Sailor's Pub for more picks like this one. Anyway lets get on with the show.

The first set features a solid '84 style first set. Minglewood and Dupree's are both highlights. Then Far From Me, a song I normally skip, has excellent key action from Brent. Ramble On Rose is also played excellently. Next up is the "power slot" in the 1st set. Sailor>Saint features some nice keyboard work from Brent. Also the whole band seems to be on for this set which always works.The band is getting warmed up for the set that follows with this combo. During the 4 minute mark they begin to really get on fire. A very tight jam which leads back to the chorus. In the chorus Bob gets carried away and raps, "I just want to fuck you I do". The audience cheers at the improv lyrics and the band soon ends the song. Then the set closes with Deal. A solid version which features an amazing jam at the end of the song. The four minute mark is to be taken note of. You can instantly tell they are about to rock the song, which of course they do!!! Jerry's lead is precise yet, the whole band really takes credit. You know how sometimes you hear a song and think to yourself, "Jerry just rocked, I wish the rest of the band could have been there with him." Ha Ha this is not one of those moments.

On to set 2!!! Which opens with Shakedown Street. I really love the '84 Shakedowns. When they nailed them they were perfect. Phil comes through excellently, as he should on Shakedown. Brent's backing vocals are very prominent on this as well. Then the real jam begins. Oh wow!!! Check out Bob adding color under Jerry and Phil in the Shakedown jam. Then Shakedown melts into a rockin' Playin In The Band. Very focused and straight to the point during the verse and chorus. Then they begin to stray. When the stray it is pure beauty. Which sits really well in this otherwise high energy show. You can hear hints of Terrapin being played in the ending jam of PITB. Once we get that Terrapin Brent adds some nice keys to help keep the beauty alive. Jerry also compliments Brent during this Terrapin intro. Terrapin is very hypnotic as you can hear the drummers begin to get restless. The Rhythm Devils are at it again in this concert. Sometimes I wonder how electronic music fans can not like the Grateful Dead. If for anything just the Drums segment of each show in the 80s and beyond. Space carries over the same theme with some excellent guitar work from Jerry. The space also showcases Jerry's love for brass instruments. His timing reminds me of Miles Davis or John Coltrane. Then as space cools down they smoothly move back into PITB. A high energy performance to balance out the beauty part of the show. After a rousing Playing Reprise they move full throttle into Truckin'. I am not able to listen to the rest of this show at the moment. I can tell you there is a Day Job encore, which in theory means its a hot show. I really wanted to finish this show too. My internet keeps acting up and I have had to reset it like 5 times during the listening of this concert.

Click On The Ticket To Download!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha it is the slick ticket click trick. I am glad you liked the show, now I need to listen to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. It was a great show from what I have heard. Too bad my internet was messing up. Then I was going to listen to a Garcia/Kahn show on cassette. Well the J card was wrong and instead I got a killer 80's show. Figuring out what that show is so I can post it here.

    ReplyDelete